From the briefing of Newsmen by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, yesterday in Abuja concerning the newly proposed Community Policing.
The Blog Nigeria has decided to outline some of the key points from the briefing and things to know about the Community Policing when eventually established.
Nigerian Police Concludes Plans To Recruit 40,000 Community Policing Officers. – IG
Below are some of the things to know:
• 40,000 persons are to be recruited.
• They will be recruited as Special Constables.
• Not all N-power Volunteers will be recruited.
• Not only N-power Volunteers will be recruited.
• 50 persons will be recruited per Local Government Area.
• They will perform low-risk and non-sensitive duties.
• They will be deployed to complement the Police in law enforcement functions within their localities.
• They will also act as liaisons between the Police and their Communities.
• They will bridge the gap between the Police and the citizens in a manner that will enhance optimal, cost-effective, and sustainable law enforcement service delivery by the Police.
• Additional 1,300 Community Policing Officers will be recruited from Professional bodies like the academics, Road Transport Unions, Artisans, Trade Associations, Religious Bodies, Women Unions and Youth Organisations.